Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Blue African Porch Furniture


My daughter found this set when one of their neighbors moved and left it behind. It looked kind of worn out and tired, but when she brought it to me I saw the potential to brighten up their front porch a little.

The worn table that I sanded and scraped to get most of the old paint off.



I believe it was made out different woods and the legs had to be glued down and secured with new nails. I left some of the original paint on because I didn't know yet what I was going to do with them.


Lowe's had blue OOPS paint and that what it became. We painted 2 coats to cover evenly as base coat.

I taped the areas where I planned the design, it was inspired by a piece of fabric I had bought to make kofi hats with
ties.

I chose a bright orange for the background and filled the space inside he tape.
 
Butternut for the 2nd layer of design. Painted freehand.
Black was used as the accent color, it gives the design a bold & dramatic look.
Still freehand.
I started to add black accent to the trim areas in the back and legs.


I sanded the edges for the rustic "worn" look, this was done on the legs as well.
I removed the tape to border the design.



 

I finishes each design with a black border and added some color to the legs.
 


I sealed the paint-job with clear-coat of polyurethane for protection against the elements.
This set was one of the more fun ones because the colors were so bright & happy to work with. I enjoyed refinishing this set for my daughter. They love it and she complemented it with clay pots on her porch.



No comments:

Post a Comment