Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Mozzy Net With Fabric Birds

Another baby project, I helped my daughter to get the nursery ready for my first grandchild. This is a project I enjoyed very much. It is one of those décor items that just gives a little class to baby room.

I had an old lamp cover that was waiting for the right opportunity to become something awesome.

The list:
1 Lamp hoop
24y Tulle
Binding tape
6y of Ribbon (4 different colors)
Scrap fabric
Needle & Thread
 
I started by dividing the tulle in 2 parts, then I folded it in half so the 2 tops would make a loop. I tied them together with string/yarn. I then measured 15" down for placement of the hoop.



I cut the 4 ribbons in different lengths and tested it by pinning to the hoop.

 
I chose Green Dark & light Pink and soft Yellow Ribbon

The binding tape was measured to make an encasing for the hoop. I cut 2 pieces, the 1st was used to attach the colored ribbon to. I made 4 sections to hang from the hoop. This will be attached to the outside of the net.

 
Little fabric birds were cut from leftover fabric, see the onesies and glider posts.
 
 
I used some of the ribbon in different lengths again to make them hang. A beak was made from a square and the tail from fabric strips.

 
I pinned the ribbon, beak & tail to the right side of one bird, to the inside and placed the other half rightside together

 
The seam was done and I left the 1" at the bottom open where the ribbon came through to turn it right side out and insert the stuffing.

 
I ruffled the tail feathers and stuffed them, the bottom was sewn closed, I should have done it by hand but I was in hurry to get it done before the baby shower.
 

 
I made 5 birds, 4 to hang in between the outside ribbon and one for right in the middle. The ribbon ends was attached to the tulle loop. I needed hand for the next step. I hung the net to a hook from the ceiling and had my husband hold the hoop (the binding was already attached to the inside circle) while I tacked is it loosely to get it in place, about 15 inches from the top, making sure the tulle was spaced evenly around the hoop.

 
The bird ribbons were sewn into place to the inside of the hoop and then I attached the outside binding with the colored ribbon , spaced evenly between the birds. It was a time consuming process but I couldn't think of an easier way to do it. I hand stitched the topside of the binding first and then the bottom to have the hoop encased by it. Last I seared the ribbon ends so would not fray.
Feel free to give advise for future reference.
 

 
I am happy to say that my little granddaughter is already looking at the little birds above her crib. I am so Blessed to be able to share this with her. 
 
 
BTW I painted the tree and the puffballs are from her aunt's wedding, she sprayed them green & pink for the baby shower and now they are part of the nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment